Webtrees Menu is customisable by the administrator and menu items may be visible to visitors, to registered members, or only to managers and administrators. Alternatively, the administrator may disable some parts of the menu, and hide them from everyone.
It is worth knowing that Webtrees comes with six templates, so different sites may look different depending on the template chosen by the administrator. For example the Menu on a site using the default Webtrees template (first image) will look different from the menu on our own family tree site because we use the Clouds template (second image). The images may look different, but the actual menu content will be the same. It is also worth mentioning that the list of menu items can be rearranged into any order, so they may not be in the order described below.
Other items may be added to the core menu by various add-ons not part of the official release and not maintained by the Webtrees team.
Core Webtrees Menu
The following menu items are included as part of the official Webtrees release:
- Family Trees: Our own website only contains one family tree, but some Webtrees websites contain more than one. Clicking on the ‘Family trees’ icon displays the name of every tree listed on the site, and clicking on the name takes you to that particular tree.
- Charts: Webtrees can display family tree information on several different charts and with several different layouts. Each chart item is described on the ‘Charts page‘.
- Clippings cart: Disabled on our site, but if the administrator has enabled this it allows you to save a small section of the family tree, one person or one nuclear family for example, and to download that information as a gedcom file. Further information can be found on the ‘Clippings page‘.
- Lists: Webtrees can display several lists of different family tree information. Each list item is described on the ‘Lists page‘.
- Stories: The stories module allows registered and signed in users to add their own stories and make them visible on their own record. Stories are described in greater detail on the ‘Stories page‘.
- Calendar: Disabled on our site, but it displays historical family tree information occurring on a certain date, or a certain month, or a certain year. Further information can be found on the ‘Calendar page‘.
- FAQ: If the administrator has activated this menu item, clicking on the question mark will display a list of Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.
- Reports: Webtrees can display many reports in different formats. Each report item is described on the ‘Report page‘.
- Search: The search box has its own drop-down menu which allows you to choose a general search of the whole site, a phonetic search, an advanced search. It also allows those with editing rights to do a ‘search and replace’. There are further details on the ‘Search page‘.